Essex Family-Friendly Employers Charter
Family-friendly employer principles
The Essex Family-Friendly Employers Charter is a set of minimum principles that employers in Essex should meet to be deemed family-friendly.
Not all employers can offer flexible working. However, family-friendly policies are about more than being able to work from home.
The charter sets out how employers can help parents and carers manage their work and caring commitments.
Join a network of organisations to share good practices and lead the way in supporting people in Essex.
By signing up to the charter, employers agree to adopt family-friendly policies.
Family-friendly strategy and culture
To foster a family-friendly strategy and culture, employers should:
- promote a positive culture and attitude to different ways of working
- support managers and employees to talk about different working arrangements
- during induction, provide information about the opportunities and process to make a flexible working request
- make information around family-friendly practices and workplace benefits for families easy to access
- make roles open to part-time and flexi-time where possible, including senior positions
- where possible, provide support for employees such as mentoring, resilience and aspiration building and peer support networks
- provide part-time staff with equal access to training, development and opportunities to progress
In line with the employers’ needs, employers should aim to:
- offer a range of flexible working options such as flexible working hours, working from outside the main office, condensed hours, extended lunch breaks and acceptable breaks for family commitments
- advertise jobs as flexible (where flexible working options are possible)
- start from a position of “yes” when it comes to flexible working requests
- provide advance notice of shift patterns
Annual leave and supporting parents outside of term time
To help employees manage work and caring commitments, employers should:
- provide a range of leave options to support parents such as dependent leave, unpaid leave, emergency care leave and options to buy extra leave
- ensure information about leave options to meet family commitments is easy to access
- consider who may need leave, flexible hours or flexible workplaces during holidays for childcare purposes
Download the charter as an accessible PDF: Essex Employers Family-Friendly Charter (PDF, 190KB)Print this page