Children, young people and families: latest service update

Some of our services have changed. Visit our coronavirus hub for the latest information and advice about finding childcare, childcare providers reopening and direct payments.

Please visit these pages for updates before contacting us.

Find a childcare provider

Ofsted's role in childcare

Ofsted (Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills) is a government department that inspects and regulates institutions in England providing education, or care for children and young people.

Inspection reports

When you're looking for a childcare provider, we recommend that you check their Ofsted report to ensure your child receives good quality care.

Find Ofsted inspection reports.

Guidance for parents

GOV.UK has guidance on Inspecting registered childcare providers.

It explains how Ofsted regulates childcare and what parents should do if they have concerns about their provider.

Make a complaint about childcare

If you’re concerned about your childcare provider, speak to them about it. This will often solve most problems. If you’re not satisfied with the outcome, ask about their complaints procedure.

If you’re still not satisfied after following their complaints procedure, contact the Ofsted helpline on 0300 123 1231 or email them at

Print this page