Coronavirus (COVID-19): how to stay safe and help prevent the spread

Keep acting responsibly to protect yourself and others. Continue to follow the guidance on GOV.UK.

For information on getting tested, vaccines, coronavirus news and data, and support for businesses and residents, go to the Coronavirus hub .

Mental health

Get help and support

If you’re worried about your mental health, it’s important to speak to someone as soon as possible.

You can make an appointment to see your GP (family doctor) or use the NHS postcode lookup tool to find a GP near you.
Mind, the mental health charity, has advice on how to talk to your GP about your mental health.

Stress, anxiety or depression

If you're feeling stressed, anxious or depressed and want to talk to someone, you can get psychological therapies on the NHS. They offer therapies like cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), counselling and guided self-help.

A GP can refer you, or you can refer yourself directly. You’ll need to be registered with a GP to get psychological help on the NHS.

Community support

You can also get mental health support through The Essex Wellbeing Service. You can self-refer on the website or call 0300 303 9988.

Support for young people and those with special education needs under 25

You can get support through the Emotional Wellbeing and Mental Health Service.

Support for armed forces and veterans

Find information and support for armed forces and veterans.

Supporting someone else

If you have a family member or friend who is struggling with their mental health, you may have a lot of questions about their diagnosis, care, and treatment. Find out what information and support is available for carers in Essex.

Mind offers advice on how to cope when supporting someone else.

If you need to go to hospital

Your GP or a member of the community mental health team may suggest that your condition needs inpatient treatment in hospital. This would usually happen in consultation with you.

There may be circumstances where you might need to be detained in hospital under the Mental Health Act. This is sometimes called 'being sectioned.'

Rethink Mental Illness provides more information on going into hospital.

Organisations that provide support

The following organisations provide support with a variety of mental health conditions:

Print this page