Coronavirus (COVID-19): government restrictions in Essex

England is under national coronavirus restrictions. Find out what you can and can't do.

Go to the coronavirus hub to find out what this means for services in Essex, for advice and support.

Move to a different school

You can apply to change your child's school during the school year. This is called a mid-year admission.

Your child is not guaranteed a place at your preferred school. You should not remove your child from their school before you have received another offer.

We recommend that you:

  • speak to your child's current teacher or headteacher before applying to another school
  • contact the schools you are interested in before making a decision to move house or submit an application

Before you apply

If you are moving to a new house, you need to provide proof of your new address with your application.

If you are applying from overseas, you will need to provide proof of residence, such as an EU passport, an endorsed passport or an entry visa.

If your child has an education, health and care (EHC) plan, you need to contact the Special Education Needs and Disabilities (SEND) service.

Apply for a primary school mid-year admission

You can apply online.

Offers for primary school places

You will receive a letter within 2 to 3 weeks of your application. In some cases, it may take longer.

Apply for a secondary school mid-year admission

You need to apply directly to the school.

Fill in the secondary school mid-year application form (PDF, 141.99KB) and send it directly to the school.

Print this page