Volunteering in Essex is a great opportunity to support your local community. With a variety of opportunities there is something to suit everyone’s skills, experience and availability. Volunteers in Essex work in a wide variety of roles, from offering companionship to people who are socially isolated, to providing practical help in the community.
Get that feel good feeling
Whether you’re looking to volunteer for a couple of hours or more, your efforts can make a huge difference to your community. The benefits of volunteering include:
- helping others in your community
- a sense of pride
- opportunity to make new friends
- learning new skills and gain work experience
- building confidence
We said 'Thank You' to Ukraine volunteers
Last month we thanked dozens of volunteers from Essex who welcomed refugees from Ukraine at Stansted Airport. The event celebrated the incredible volunteers from Uttlesford Community Action Network and other partners for their work to help refugees from Ukraine. The volunteers and voluntary sector partners were at the centre of the Essex response to the Ukrainian guests fleeing the war.
King’s Award for Voluntary Service 2023
Congratulations to all the awardees of the Kings Award for Voluntary Service 2023. An incredible 10 volunteering groups in Essex were recognised and awarded for this year’s Kings Award for Voluntary Service. We want to say thank you to all volunteers across the county for their exceptional service within their local communities.
The 10 winning groups from Essex are:
- African Families in the UK CIC (AFiUK)
- Colchester Foodbank
- Enterprise East Group C.I.C.
- Mollands Lane Community Sensory Garden
- Parents 1st Essex
- Refugee, Asylum Seeker and Migrant Action
- Saffron Hall Trust
- Sanctus Charity
- The One Love Project
- University of Essex Students’ Union VTeam
Where to volunteer in Essex
We have several volunteering opportunities at Essex County Council. Opportunities include supporting Essex Libraries or becoming an ACL Digital Champion. We’ve provided a range of local volunteer opportunities in Essex below:
- food donation collector, First Stop centre in Braintree
- activity group helper, Epping, Loughton, Waltham Abbey Districts
- compassionate neighbour volunteer, St Clare Hospice in Epping, Harlow and Uttlesford
- administration assistant, Sea-Change Sailing Trust in Maldon
- youth support volunteer in various parts of Essex
Discover more volunteering opportunities at volunteer Essex, where you can search based on your location, interests and specific activities.
Volunteering isn’t limited to opportunities posted online, you can find a cause you care about and start making a difference today. Whether that’s helping an elderly neighbour or litter picking, create your own opportunities to support the community.
We would love to hear about the groups and organisations that make a difference in your local community. If you are currently looking for volunteers and would like us to share an opportunity on this page, please complete the Essex volunteering opportunities form.