More than £5 million of funding has been secured to update the look and feel of public places in five parts of Essex. Funding will help boost active travel by improving walking, wheeling and cycling access.
The Government has confirmed we will be awarded £5.27 million from its Active Travel Fund 4. The fund supports local authorities to design and implement changes to make active travel easier and safer.
The funding will fund projects in Basildon, Brentwood, Chelmsford, Colchester and Harlow.
The projects we have secured funding for are:
- Wickford Healthy School Streets
- Broadmayne to Bearsted Drive
- Sawyers Hall Lane Healthy School Street
- Chess Pieces to Bishop Hall Lane
- Winstree Road Healthy School Street
- Hawthorn Avenue, Greenstead Healthy School Street
- Colne Causeway Crossing
- Severalls Lane roundabout to Avon Way
- Post Office Road to Sheering Road
- Elizabeth Way to Fifth Avenue
In May 2021, we secured £7,358,700 from the Government’s Active Travel Fund 2. This funding was to support changes across Braintree, Brentwood, Chelmsford, Colchester and Wickford. Work on these projects continues. Find out the latest on Active Travel Fund projects in Essex.