Our environmental statement
Essex County Council is committed to ensuring a better quality of life by conserving, developing and promoting a healthy, safe, diverse, clean and attractive environment.
We recognise that our operations and statutory duties have an impact on the environment and as an organisation we have a responsibility to manage and mitigate these impacts where possible.
In working towards a more sustainable future we are committed to minimising our adverse impacts and maximising the positive impacts on our environment, both within the organisation, with our partners and through the wider community.
To ensure we move closer to fulfilling our vision, we will aim to:
- manage the impacts of extreme weather events and reduce our contribution to the causes
- use our own resources efficiently, reducing wasted materials and energy, resulting in financial savings
- minimise the adverse environmental impact of the goods and services we procure and maximise the positive opportunities through adherence to our Procurement Strategy
- continually improve our environmental performance by:
- assessing the environmental risks of our decisions
- carrying out reviews of Council policies and actions
- complying with, or exceeding, environmental legislation and regulations
- managing our estate to reduce financial implications of the Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC)
- promote sustainable management, planning, design, construction, renewables and drainage
- encourage other public sector partners, community groups and businesses in local environmental projects
- ensure all staff, members and contractors understand the environmental impact of their actions and decisions, through awareness and education, policy reviews and encouraging them to lead by example by taking action to mitigate their environmental impacts and to share best practice
We will deliver our vision by embedding sustainability and environmental issues within our policies and plans as evidenced at Annex A to this statement.
This statement is subject to review annually and any changes escalated as necessary to the Leader of the Council and the Chief Executive.
Signed by the Leader of the Council and Chief Executive.Print this page