Paying for a care home


If you move to a care home, we will carry out a financial assessment to work out if you need to pay for your care home costs or if you are eligible for financial support. This depends on how much you have in savings and assets, such as property and investments.

If your savings and assets are:

  • less than £23,250, you will be eligible for means-tested support to help pay for your care
  • more than £23,250, you will have to pay for all of your care

Care home charges

You will need to speak to your social worker to find out about your care home costs.

If you go into hospital you will still need to pay your contribution towards the cost of your care home for the first 6 weeks.

Ways to pay for your care

There are different ways you can fund your care. You could:

  • Use savings and/or income from investments
  • Rent your property
  • Sell your property
  • Take a deferred payment agreement
  • Purchase an insurance policy that pays for your care

We recommend you seek independent financial advice before making a decision.

Print this page