Privacy: My Care Record

My Care Record provides health and care professionals with electronic access to records of participating partner organisations using new and existing secure computer systems. Details of partner organisations involved are listed on the My Care Record website.

What services are covered by this privacy notice?

The people caring for you need access to your health and care record in order to make the best decisions about your diagnosis and treatment. This could include GPs, hospital-based clinicians, nurses, health visitors and social workers.

Patient information and care records are usually made available through traditional methods such as secure post, fax or email, which can be slow and, at times, unreliable, and possibly prolonging diagnosis and treatment.

What personal information do we hold?

Your records will include but might not be limited to:

  • patient details and summary – name, address, NHS number and phone number
  • medical conditions
  • treatment provided and contact the patient has had with the organisation
  • care plans
  • emergency department treatment
  • discharge summaries
  • medication (current, past and issues)
  • medical reports – e.g. endoscopy
  • results of investigations, such as x-rays, scans and laboratory tests

Who else might we share your personal information with?

Each partner organisation participating is responsible for the information they share/access within the shared environment, including personal and special category data incorporated from patient records held by partner organisations.

All partners are subject to a number of legal obligations to ensure that the processing of personal information remains lawful. This includes, legislation, standard, statutory and non-statutory guidance. For a full list, visit the My Care Record website.

You can object to your information being shared by talking to your direct care provider, such as your GP, hospital consultant or social worker. These people are viewing your record to give you the best quality care they can. If you do however still want to object, please contact the organisation who holds the records which you do not want to be shared.

Who is the data controller for processing?

Essex County Council is Joint Data Controller for this processing. Each partner organisation participating is responsible for the information they share/access within the shared environment. A full list of partners can be found on the My Care Record website

We may use your information for the prevention and detection of fraud and crime, this may include sharing your personal information with external agencies that could lead to some services being declined.

Read more about how your information is processed.

What is the legal basis for our use of your personal information?

The information below show the legal basis we are relying on to use your personal or special category (sensitive) personal information. You can see a list of the full legal conditions we may rely on by looking at our full privacy notice.

Here is a list of the legislation we rely on when using your personal information to meet our legal obligations or public tasks.

Personal information

Our legal basis' for using your personal information are to, exercise our tasks in the public interest and to protect your vital interests.

Special category (sensitive) personal information

Our legal basis' for using your special category information are substantial public interest and the delivery of health and social care services.

Will my personal information be accessible outside the UK?

No personal information is routinely sent or held outside the UK. Should the transfer of personal information outside of the UK become necessary, it will only take place if permitted by law, and then only where there are appropriate safeguards in place to protect the information.

How long will we keep your personal information?

Personal data is stored securely for the duration specified by the NHS Digital / Information Governance Alliance (IGA) Retention Schedule. Once information that is held has been identified for destruction it will be disposed of in the most appropriate way for the type of information it is.

Your rights

The law gives you a number of rights to control what personal information is used by us and how it is used by us.

You can obtain further information about these rights from the Information Commissioner’s Office.

You also have the right to lodge a complaint in relation to this summary notice, the full privacy notice or our processing activities with the Information Commissioner’s Office.

All partner organisations have complaints procedures. If you wish to make a complaint, please contact your direct care provider such as your GP, hospital consultant, social worker or speak to their PALS (Patients Advisors and Liaisons Services) / Complaints department. Patients also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office regarding breaches of confidentiality.

Information Commissioner's Office

Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545745 (national rate)

Contact us

If you wish to exercise any of these rights, you can contact our Data Protection Officer.

Data Protection Officer

Telephone: 0345 743 0430 (ask to speak to the Information Governance Team)

Or the transparency team for access to the information held by Essex County Council.

Make an information request


Transparency Team
PO Box 11
County Hall

Telephone: 033301 39853

Print this page