Information about you, or someone you care for
You have a right to access any information the Council holds about you.
There's no charge for accessing your information.
Information we do not hold
We do not hold the following:
- school records – you will need to contact the school
- CCTV recordings of road traffic – traffic cameras watch traffic, but do not record it
- information about council tax or benefits – you will need to contact your local council
- health / medical records – you will need to contact the NHS
- police information – you will need to contact the relevant police force
- Court reports – you will need to contact the Courts
- birth, death or marriage certificates – these are available from Essex Records Office
- school exam results and certificates – you will need to contact the examining body
Requesting information for somebody else
Normally you can only request access to your own data. In some cases you can request data on behalf of someone else.
Read our guidance on requesting information about:
Make a request about you
To make a request for information about yourself, you will need to provide:
- your full name
- your address
- your telephone number and / or email address
- your date of birth
- proof of your identity, such as a valid passport, driving license or full birth certificate
- a description of the information you want to receive - the more information you give us will help us provide your information quicker
You might find it helpful to use our request form (DOCX, 58.62KB).
You can make your request by talking to us, by post or by email.
PO Box 11
Telephone: 033301 39853
After you've made a request
We will reply to confirm we have received your request.
We may ask more questions to help us find the information you have requested. We may ask to see original copies of any proof of identity if the copies provided are not clear.
We aim to answer your request within 1 month, but it can take longer if your request is complex.
If you're unhappy with our response
You can contact our Data Protection Officer if you are not happy with the response you receive from us.
Telephone: 0345 743 0430 (ask to speak to the Information Governance Team)
You can also speak to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) about your complaint.
You can find out more about access requests on the ICO website.
You can see why and how we use your personal information on our Your privacy pages.Print this page