Running the council: latest service update

Some of our services have changed. Visit our coronavirus hub for the latest information and advice about requests for information.

Please visit these pages for updates before contacting us.

Request information

Information about you, or someone you care for

Service update: request information

At present, we ask that you submit requests to access personal information under the Data Protection Act 2018 by emailing

This will enable us to respond to your requests quicker. Thank you.

You have a right to access any information the Council holds about you, under the Data Protection Act 2018.

There's no charge for accessing your information.

You can do this in verbally, by post or by email.

Make a request

To make an access request you'll need to provide:

  • your full name
  • your address
  • your date of birth
  • proof of your identity
  • enough information to identify your records

You might find it helpful to use our request form (WORD 341 KB) to do this.

Make an information request


Transparency Team
PO Box 11
County Hall

Proof of identity

We'll need 2 of the following documents to prove your identity.

These can be:

  • a valid passport
  • a full or provisional driving licence
  • full birth certificate

You can send copies of these documents, but we might ask to see the originals if the copies are not clear.

If you're unsure about what counts as proof of identity, you can contact us.

After you've made a request

We will reply to confirm your request has been been received.

We aim to answer your request within 1 month, but it can take longer if your request is complex.

If you're unhappy with our response

You can contact our Data Protection Officer if you are not happy with the response you receive from us.

Data Protection Officer

Telephone: 0345 743 0430 (ask to speak to the Information Governance Team)

You can also speak to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) about your complaint.

Requesting information for somebody else

Normally you can only request access to your own data. In some cases you can request data on behalf of someone else.


If you're making the request on behalf of an adult, we have to check that you have that person's permission. We'll also need to make sure the request is in the person's interest.


Children have the right to request their own information. If a child is under 12, normally someone with parental responsibility can make the request on the child's behalf.

If we think it's not in the child's interest to give information to a parent, we'll ask the child to make a request themselves.

Most of the information we hold about children relates to children's social care and our special educational needs services.

If you want to request a child's educational records, you should ask the school directly. You can do this for children of any age.

More information

You can find out more about access requests on the ICO website.

You can see why and how we use your personal information on our Your privacy pages.

Print this page