School governors are volunteers who help run schools. They play an important role in managing, supporting and improving schools.
What school governors do
Governors sit on the school’s governing board and work with the school to ensure they improve each year. They:
- hold the headteacher to account for a school’s performance
- make sure the budget is spent wisely
- set the school targets and ensure they are met
- take part in hearings and appeals
- making sure school buildings are welcoming and safe
- appoint and dismiss staff
Governors attend meetings during the school year to discuss the school's progress.
GOV.UK has guidance on the roles and duties of governing bodies.
You can also find out more about governors' responsibilities in the Department for Education Governance Handbook.
Become a school governor
To be a school governor you must be over 18 years old and you:
- don't need to have any experience or formal qualifications
- don’t need to have children at the school
The role is demanding but it can also be rewarding. It's a good way to give back to your local community and help improve schools in Essex.
These schools are looking for governors:
- Birchanger Church of England (Voluntary Controlled) Primary School, CM23 5QL
- Broomgrove Junior School, Colchester, CO7 9QB
- Coopersale and Theydon Garnon Church of England Primary School, CM16 7QX
- Gosbecks Primary School, CO2 9DG – available from November 2020
- Grange Primary School, Wickford, SS12 0LR
- The Howbridge Infant School, Witham, CM8 1DJ – available from January 2021
- Langenhoe Community Primary and Pre School, Colchester, CO5 7PG
- Lexden Springs School, Colchester, CO3 9AB
- Limes Farm Junior School, IG7 5LP
- Long Ridings Primary School, Hutton, Brentwood, CM13 1DU
- Mayflower Primary School, Harwich, CO12 4AJ
- Montgomery Junior School, Colchester, CO2 9QG
- Myland Community Primary School, CO4 5LD
- Rettendon Primary School, Chelmsford, CM3 8DW
- Sheering Church of England (Voluntary Controlled) Primary School, Bishops Stortford, CM22 7LU
- St Margaret's CofE (VC) Primary School Toppesfield, CO9 4DS
- St Michael's Church of England Junior School, Galleywood, CM2 8RR
- St Peter's Church of England (Voluntary Aided) Primary School, West Hanningfield, CM2 8UQ
- Trinity Road Primary School, Chelmsford CM2 6HS
- Warley Primary School, Brentwood, CM14 5LF
For a full list of current local authority vacancies and to express an interest, you can contact:
You can put yourself forward or nominate someone.
You can also contact schools directly to see if there are any vacancies.Print this page