Move to a different school

Apply for a mid-year admission to change your child's school during the school year

You can apply to change your child's school during the school year. This is called a mid-year admission.

Your child is not guaranteed a place at your preferred school. You should not remove your child from their school before you have received another offer.

We recommend that you:

  • speak to your child's current teacher or headteacher before applying to another school
  • contact the schools you are interested in before making a decision to move house or submit an application

Before you apply

If you are moving to a new house, you need to provide proof of your new address with your application.

If your child has an education, health and care plan (EHCP), you need to contact the SEND Operations Team.

Apply for a primary school mid-year admission

For most schools, you will need to apply directly to the school.

For some schools, you can apply online with our mid-year application for a primary, infant junior school form.

If you're applying online, please read all the information very carefully to make sure you apply using the correct form.

Offers for primary school places

We will work to obtain an outcome of your application within 15 school days (excluding school holidays) of you submitting it. In some cases, it may take longer.

We will send you a letter as soon as we know the outcome of your application. Please note that you may not receive your letter within 15 school days.

Apply for a secondary school mid-year admission

You need to apply directly to the school.

Fill in the secondary school mid-year application form (PDF, 134.78kB) and send it directly to the school.