Grants in exceptional circumstances

Find out about help you can get in exceptional circumstances and who is eligible

We don't provide funding for normal school clothing expenses.

We will only consider offering some help towards school expenses in very exceptional circumstances.

Exceptional circumstances means:

  • you are being made homeless and placed somewhere that means changing school and have been supported in finding temporary accommodation by the district or borough council
  • you and your children are being placed in a refuge that means changing school and have a letter from the refuge
  • you’ve lost school clothes in a fire or flood damage and have a letter from the relevant service

How to qualify

You may be eligible if you can provide evidence of the exceptional circumstances and you’re receiving any of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
  • Child Tax Credit, but not Working Tax Credit, with an annual income of less than £16,190
  • the Guaranteed Element of Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit, with an annual income of £7400 or below

How to apply

If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can request an application form by emailing the Education Awards Team.

You will need to provide evidence of both low income and exceptional circumstances to be considered.

Education Awards Team


More help and advice

Family Action (formerly Family Welfare Association) gives advice for families experiencing financial difficulties.

The Frank Buttle Trust (in association with BBC Children in Need) don’t provide grants towards uniform costs, but offer other grants for children in difficult situations.

Turn2Us helps people get access to appropriate welfare benefits.