Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is for older people, aged over 55, who want to live in their own homes but may need some help and support.

The properties are supported by a property or scheme manager and staff, and may have communal areas where residents can socialise with each other.

Some properties are adapted for people with physical disabilities.

Residents can have an alarm system to call for help in an emergency at any time.

Get a care needs assessment from your council

Your local council will need to assess your housing needs. Contact your local council for more information and advice:

Paying for sheltered housing

If you move into sheltered housing, you'll have to pay rent which may include:

  • service charge to cover the property or scheme manager
  • general maintenance of the property

If you are eligible for Housing Benefit, you might be able to claim this towards the cost of your rent.

Print this page