Support for employers and businesses
We are working with partners to do everything we can to support our people and businesses in Essex. You can read about our initial areas of focus in our most recent press release. We will keep you updated on developments.
In the meantime, GOV.UK have published coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance for:
Business support packages
Visit GOV.UK for the latest information on the government’s business support package.
This is regularly updated and includes information on:
- the job retention scheme
- deferring VAT and Income Tax payments
- statutory sick pay rebate
- business rates holiday
- small businesses grants
- access to finance
Other guidance and support is available for:
- protection from eviction for commercial tenants
- financial assistance for employers unable to pay statutory redundancy payments
The government’s business support site offers guidance on a wider range of business support, including innovation and exporting.
Support for the self-employed
The government has announced grant support for self-employed workers. This scheme will allow you to claim a taxable grant worth 80% of your trading profits up to a maximum of £2,500 per month for the next 3 months. It will be available from June 2020.
In the meantime, if you have a low income, consider claiming tax credit. If you're already claiming tax credit or Child Tax Credit, you may need to let HMRC know about your change in circumstances because of the coronavirus.
An independent calculation of your entitlement can help you to make an informed choice.
Local business advice and support
The South East Business Hub provide regular updates on guidance for businesses.
The Essex Chambers of Commerce offers local advice and support.
And you can visit our business pages for all the usual business information.
There are a number of business organisations to support you, including:
- the South East Local Enterprise Partnership (SELEP), who link to support available for businesses
- the Federation of Small Businesses, who give advice and guidance for small businesses and the self-employed
- the London Growth Hub, who list national organisations that can help businesses
- ACAS, who offer a range of advice and support to businesses
Business training and webinars
The Living Well Essex site includes updates from us about coronavirus.
The Health and Safety Executive site includes the latest information and advice about coronavirus.
If you can't find the answer to your question in the links above, please email our Business Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.orgPrint this page