What is a Team Around the Family (TAF)?
A Team Around the Family (TAF) meeting should take place when a concern identifies the need for a multi-agency response.
It provides the opportunity to discuss how additional needs can be met.
What are the main functions of a TAF?
The main functions are to:
• bring together children, young people, parents and practitioners
• ensure a coordinated approach is implemented to support the individual or family’s needs.
• ensure parents/carers and children/young people have an equal role in agreeing their goals and the actions needed to meet them
• ensure that the needs of parents/carers are recognised and that their central role in meeting the needs of the child/young person is acknowledged
The parent or carer and, where appropriate, the child or young person should always attend the meeting.
What happens at a TAF meeting
At a TAF Meeting you should:
• share information
• identify actions to address needs and build on strengths
• ensure services are coordinated and do not overlap
• review progress
• where appropriate, agree to consult with and/or refer to other services, and invite them to the next TAF meeting
• identify gaps in support and reflect this in the planning
The meeting should be as small as practically possible, so that the child/young person and family members do not feel overwhelmed.
Through discussions at the initial TAF identify an appropriate TAF Co-ordinator.
Members of the TAF are jointly responsible for developing and delivering the package of support including capturing notes on the TAF template.
Each member is responsible for delivering their assigned actions of the action plan. Members are also responsible for keeping each other informed about their progress and any concerns.
Each member should support the TAF Co-ordinator by keeping them informed, providing information and consultation when required, and attending meetings.
Members should contribute constructively when attempting to solve problems or resolve difficulties. They should also encourage families to take an equal role in the process and take a solution focussed approach.
Our Team Around the Family Support Officers (TAFSO) can support you to feel confident holding Team Around the Family Meetings and completing Early Help Plans.
Email your Team around the Family Support Officer asking for contact to be made with you: TAFSO@essex.gov.uk