Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

You are currently in: Paying for care and support

What you need for your financial assessment

13 November 2018


About you

We'll need your contact information and, if you have one, details of your power of attorney, deputy or financial representative.

Documents you might need:

  • Power of Attorney documentation
  • Appointee forms
  • Court of Protection Order

Savings and capital

We'll need to know about all your bank accounts, and any savings, bonds and investments you have.

Documents you might need:

  • Bank account statements
  • Savings account statements
  • Bond certificates
  • Life assurance bond certificates evidencing life/lives assured and any income received
  • Share certificates
  • National savings certificates
  • Investment or trust documents
  • Property title and mortgage documents


We'll need to know about the benefits you receive, all your pensions and any income you make, including rental income from property or land.

Documents you might need:

  • Latest benefit entitlement or award letters from the Department for Work and Pensions - for the current financial year (April-March)
  • Verification of private pension
  • Paperwork relating to a deferred pension or annuity
  • Proof of salary
  • Evidence of rental income
  • Current bank account statements detailing other income

If you are waiting to hear about a benefit which you have applied for, please inform us immediately when you hear about the claim.

Housing costs

We'll need to know about your share of expenses relating to your council tax, rent, mortgage and service charges.

Documents you might need:

  • Housing benefit or council tax award letter
  • Relevant paperwork showing how much you pay for rent, service charges, mortgage and council tax
  • Rental agreement or housing association breakdown showing other costs included in your rent and service charges
  • Last 4 utility bills showing your annual heating and power costs
  • Water, sewerage, buildings and contents insurance bills

Proof of Direct Debit payments will be accepted.

Costs linked to your disability

If you are having care at home, we'll also need to see any evidence relating to expenses you may have because of your condition, impairment or disability.

Sometimes the amount taken into account within your financial assessment may not be based on what you actually pay but the National Minimum Wage.

Where possible, to avoid any delay in you receiving your financial assessment outcome, we may make an allowance as a ‘reasonable contribution’ or allow an average amount based on costs published by a provider (eg. Age UK), without evidence. However we will always review if/when you can verify your expense in full.

Visit GOV.UK's care and support statutory guidance for an example of disability-related expenditure.


We'll need to know about any property and land you own.

Documents you might need:

  • Your latest mortgage statement
  • Documents relating to additional property
  • Equity release documents
  • Proof of joint ownership
  • Proof of property previously owned in the last 2 years

Not disclosing your financial circumstances

If you don’t want to tell us about your financial circumstances, you will need to sign a 'non-disclosure' statement. This means you will be charged the full cost of your care.

You can change your mind at any time and choose to complete a financial assessment. We will then look at your relevant financial history, including the period of time covered by the non-disclosure statement.