Homelessness: get advice and support

Where to go for help if you are at risk of becoming homeless

If you are at risk of becoming homeless within the next 56 days, your local authority can provide advice and support on:

  • what your rights are to stay in your home
  • your housing options
  • preventing eviction

If you are unable to find anywhere to live, you can get help from your local council if you:

  • are eligible
  • are legally homeless
  • have been threatened with homelessness

How much help you get depends on your circumstances.

Emergency housing

If you are likely to be homeless, you might be eligible for temporary accommodation from your local council. They will look at your circumstances and assess if you're eligible for help.

Contact your local council more information and homelessness advice.

Essex Floating Support Service

This free service gives housing related support, including how to:

  • maintain your tenancy and prevent homelessness
  • liaise with your landlord over issues including rent arrears and repairs
  • budget your money
  • manage debt
  • maximise welfare benefits
  • work with you and mortgage lenders to reduce the possibility of repossession.


Essex Floating Support Service

To access this service, visit the Outreach Support section of the Peabody website.

Alternatively, you can contact Peabody by:

More information

GOV.UK has guidance on emergency housing if you're homeless.

Shelter gives advice on getting help from your local council.

Citizens Advice offers advice on applying for homeless help.

StreetLink helps people who are sleeping rough to connect with local support services. Get advice if you're worried about someone else who is sleeping rough.