Financial support for carers

Includes Carers Allowance, Carers Credit, Council tax reductions and other financial support

There are many costs associated with looking after someone. Here's some guidance on available financial support.

Carer's Allowance

Carers may want to explore whether they are entitled to Carer's Allowance.

Use GOV.UK to check your eligibility for carer's allowance

Carer's Credit

You could get Carer's Credit if you're caring for someone for at least 20 hours a week.

Carer's Credit is a National Insurance credit that helps with gaps in your National Insurance record.

Use GOV.UK to check your eligibility for carer's credit

Carer's personal budget and direct payments

After a carer's assessment, if they are eligible, carers will get their own support plan which sets out the support they will get in order to continue caring for the adult. It could be for:

  • education and training
  • a short break
  • improving their own health and wellbeing
  • practical help in the home

The carer's personal budget is to help carers pay for things to help them in their caring role. It can only be used to pay for things which have been agreed in their support plan. It is not taxed and does not affect any benefits.

The carer's personal budget can be taken as a direct payment and they can choose a one-off payment or monthly payments. Either paid to a pre-paid card or a dedicated bank account.

To get a personal budget you will have to have had a carer's assessment.

Council Tax Reduction for carers

You may be eligible for Council Tax Reduction, also called 'Council Tax support' or being 'disregarded for Council Tax', if you are:

  • a live-in carer
  • are not the spouse or partner of the person you care for

You do not have to claim Carer's Allowance to qualify for this discount, and your income and savings will not affect your eligibility.

Check Council Tax reduction eligibility criteria

Use GOV.UK to apply for a Council Tax discount

Other financial guidance for carers

GOV.UK has useful information on benefits, how to claim, and what you may be entitled to.

Citizen's Advice provide general advice on welfare benefits, housing, debts, immigration, and employment. Find your local Citizens Advice..

Carers UK provides further advice on financial issues for carers as well as information about Universal Credit for carers.

Entitledto is a free, independent, benefits calculator that shows what you can claim.

For free and confidential debt and money advice: