Using your badge
Visit GOV.UK to see your rights and responsibilities as a Blue Badge holder. This includes:
- where you can and can't park
- using your badge abroad
Important things to remember:
- You must be a passenger or driver of the vehicle at all times when a Blue Badge is displayed
- You can’t use your badge if you remain in the vehicle while an able bodied passenger leaves the vehicle
- You mustn’t let anyone else use your badge including carers carrying out business on your behalf
- You can’t use your badge when it is out of date, or when the information on it is wrong or faded
- You can’t allow anyone else to reproduce your badge
Displaying your badge
Your Blue Badge must be displayed on top of the dashboard of the vehicle.
The side showing the wheelchair symbol must face forward so the expiry date can be seen from outside the vehicle.
Return a badge
Your Blue Badge is the property of Essex County Council.
Badges should be returned to us if:
- they are found
- they have expired
- they are no longer needed due to the owner being deceased
- your mobility improves
- your automatic entitlement ceases
You must send the badge with a note explaining why it is being returned to the Blue Badge team.
Misuse of a Blue Badge by you or another person is a criminal offence, which can carry a fine of up to £1,000.
If you believe a badge is being misused you should email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the following information, wherever possible, in your email:
- Blue Badge number
- name of the person the Blue Badge was issued to
- vehicle registration of the vehicle using the Blue Badge
- vehicle make and model
- circumstances of suspected misuse
- date suspected misuse took place
- your name and contact telephone number – although you can remain anonymous