Fireworks and explosives

Apply for a licence to store and sell fireworks and explosives, including shotgun cartridges

Guide Navigation

Skip Guide Navigation



You must make sure that you understand, and comply with, the legal requirements of storing fireworks. These are set out in the Explosives Regulations 2014.

We’ve written some guidance notes (Word, 261KB) which you should read before applying.

You don’t need a licence to store up to 5 kilograms of fireworks or explosives.

If you want to store more than 2 tonnes (2,000 kg) of explosives at one location then you’ll need to apply for a licence from the Health and Safety Executive.


We may need to do a site visit. This is usually if you want to store more than 250 kilograms of fireworks or explosives.

Once we’ve granted the licence, you’ll be able to store up to 2 tonnes (2,000 kilograms).

Selling fireworks

Fireworks can only be sold at certain times of the year:

  • from 15 October to 10 November
  • from 26 December to 31 December
  • the first day of Chinese New Year and the 3 days before it
  • the first day of Diwali and the 3 days before it

If you want to sell fireworks outside of these dates you’ll need an all year round licence – that’s in addition to the storage licence.