Special Guardianship

Apply to legally take parental responsibility for a child you look after

Support for Special Guardians

After a Special Guardianship Order has been granted by the court, we can give you extra support.

Contact our support team, and we'll assess your needs.

If the child was in the care of a different local authority immediately before the Order was granted, you should contact them.

If you have a Special Guardianship Order and need guidance, advice or support, contact us.


Contact the SGO support team

Telephone: 03330 139 860

Monday to Thursday, 9.00am to 5.30pm Friday, 9.00am to 4.30pm

Email: SGO.Support@essex.gov.uk

How we assess your needs

When deciding on the support you need, we'll look at:

  • the developmental needs of the child
  • whether you need help with bits of parenting
  • the environment the child has come from
  • what the child's life will be like with you
  • the child's ongoing relationship with their birth family
  • therapeutic work
  • attending events and training

Support we offer

Once we've assessed what level of support you need, we can offer:

  • parenting support
  • advice and counselling
  • help dealing with other organisations, like schools and healthcare
  • therapeutic services
  • training and support groups
  • services to support contact with birth parents and families
  • help with finances and Special Guardianship Allowance

Support from other organisations

The Family Rights Group offers legal advice and guidance to parents and families dealing with children's social care services, including a free helpline.

Coram Children's Legal Centre offers free and independent legal advice to children and parents dealing with social care.