Get married or form a civil partnership

Give notice

Once you've booked a venue and registrar you can give notice of your intention to marry or form a civil partnership.

Notice can be given up to 12 months before your ceremony. It must be given at least 29 days before the ceremony takes place.

Each of you must have lived in Essex for at least seven days before giving notice.

If you live in different districts, each of you must give notice where you live.

If one of you does not hold a British, EEA or Swiss passport you must give notice together, even if you live in different districts.

If you live in Thurrock or Southend, you will need to give notice there. If you’re not sure where to give notice, you can use the Register Office finder tool on GOV.UK.

What to bring

At the appointment we’ll ask for evidence of your identity, nationality and your address.

You should both attend.

Bring the original documents, photocopies won’t be accepted.

Proof of identity and nationality

This can be either:

  • a valid passport
  • national identity card that states your nationality (if you’re from the EEA or Switzerland)
  • your full birth certificate

If you're not bringing a valid passport and were born on or after 1 January 1983, get in touch with us as you will need to bring extra ID.

Proof of address

This can be either:

  • valid UK driving licence
  • gas, water or electricity bill dated within 3 months of your appointment
  • bank or building society statement dated within 1 month of your appointment
  • your current tenancy agreement
  • council tax bill for the current year

If you’ve been divorced or widowed

If you’ve been married or in a civil partnership before you’ll need to bring either:

  • a decree absolute or final order (if you have a foreign divorce then fees will apply for the consideration of this)
  • your former partner's death certificate

If you're not named on your former partner's death certificate, you will also have to bring your former marriage or civil partnership certificate.


There is a fee of £35 per person giving notice.

Foreign divorce for consideration locally is £50.

Foreign divorce for consideration by the General Records Office is £75.

Book an appointment

Book an appointment to give notice of intention to marry or form a civil partnership

Print this page