For changes to our services visit the coronavirus hub. You will also find advice, support and contact information. Please visit these pages for updates before contacting us.
Code of governance
We are committed to the seven principles of Good Governance as agreed by the Chartered Institute of Public Finance Accountancy and the Society of Local Authority Chief Executives.
Our local code of governance is underpinned by these principles and is comprised of a framework of policies, procedures, behaviours and values by which the authority is controlled and governed.
The documents that make up this framework provide the structures and guidance that our members and employees require in order to ensure effective governance across our organisation.
Code of governance principles
Our seven principles of Good Governance are:
- Behaving with integrity, demonstrating strong commitment to ethical values and respecting the rules of law.
- Ensuring openness and comprehensive stakeholder engagement.
- Defining outcomes in terms of sustainable economic, social and environmental benefits.
- Determining the interventions necessary to optimize the achievement of the intended outcomes.
- Developing the entity’s capacity, including the capability of its leadership and the individuals within it.
- Managing risks and performance through robust internal control and strong public financial management.
- Implementing good practices in transparency, reporting, and audit, to deliver effective accountability.
Code of governance documentation
Annual Governance Statement, within Statement of Accounts
Annual Report 2018-19 (PDF, 1.51MB)
Anti bribery and corruption policy (PDF, 411KB)
Anti-Money Laundering policy (PDF, 572KB)
Budget, within organisational plan (PDF, 1.5MB)
Code of Conduct for Members, within Constitution
Code of Conduct for Officers (PDF, 608KB)
Code of Conduct Officers easy read (PDF, 3.6MB)
Committee management system (CMIS)
Complaints, Comments and Compliments Procedure (PDF, 50KB)
Constitution, including code of conduct for Councillors
Counter Fraud Strategy (PDF, 314KB)
Essex Financial Regulations, including procurement guidelines (PDF, 2MB)
External Audit findings
Foreign Travel Summary 2018/19 (PDF, 38KB)
Foreign Travel Summary 2017/18 (PDF, 31KB)
Foreign Travel Summary 2016/17 (PDF, 99KB)
Foreign Travel Summary 2015/16 (PDF, 106KB)
Foreign Travel Summary 2014/15 (PDF, 98KB)
Forward Plan of Decisions
Health and Safety Policy Statement (PDF, 302KB)
Member Register of Interests, within individual Councillor profiles
Members' allowances scheme, within Constitution
Modern slavery and human trafficking statement
Organisation Strategy 2017-21 (PDF, 559KB)
Organisational Plan 2018-19 (PDF, 1.4MB)
Pay Policy Statement (PDF, 122KB)
Petitions Policy (PDF, 103KB)
Protocol for Member/Officer Relationships, within Constitution
Risk Management Strategy (PDF, 516.89KB)
Senior Officer pages
Standing Orders, for running Full Council Meetings, within Constitution
Statement of Accounts
Statutory Officer roles and responsibilities: Head of Paid Service, Monitoring Officer, Section 151 Officer, within Constitution
The Future of Essex (PDF, 395KB)
Trade union facility time
Whistleblowing Policy (PDF, 110KB)
Whole Essex Information Sharing Framework
Your right to know, how to request information from us