Coronavirus (COVID-19): how to stay safe and help prevent the spread

Keep acting responsibly to protect yourself and others. Continue to follow the guidance on GOV.UK.

For information on getting tested, vaccines, coronavirus news and data, and support for businesses and residents, go to the Coronavirus hub .

Mental health

Get help and support

Think you have a mental health problem? Here's how to get help and support:

Contact your GP

Make an appointment to see your GP (family doctor) as soon as possible. Use the NHS postcode lookup tool to find your nearest GP.

Mind, the mental health charity, offers advice on talking to your GP about your mental health.

Contact the Adult Mental Health and Wellbeing team

If you don't feel comfortable discussing things with your GP, you can contact the Adult Mental Health and Wellbeing team.

They can help with low level level mental health problems such as anxiety and depression.

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT)

Psychological therapy may help if you are suffering from stress, anxiety or depression. You can be referred by your GP, or you can refer yourself directly online.

Use the NHS postcode lookup tool to find your local psychological therapies service (IAPT).

Specialist services

Essex Partnership University Trust (EPUT) provide NHS mental health services in Essex.

They offer a wide range of treatment and support to young people, adults and older people experiencing mental illness, whether in a hospital setting or within the community.

To access most of their services, you need to be referred by your GP.

Free mental health support from the Essex Wellbeing Service

The Essex Wellbeing Service (EWS) offers a wide range of free support to help with your mental health. Their support services are delivered by 1 of the 5 Essex Mind organisations.

Self-refer on the EWS website or call 0300 303 9988.

Going into hospital

Your GP or a member of the community mental health team may suggest that your condition needs inpatient treatment in hospital. This would usually happen in consultation with you.

There may be circumstances where you might need to be detained in hospital under the Mental Health Act. This is sometimes called 'being sectioned.'

Rethink Mental Illness provides more information on going into hospital.

Supporting someone with their mental health

If you have a family member or friend who is struggling with their mental health, you may have a lot of questions about diagnosis, care, and treatment.

Find out what support is available for carers in Essex.

Mind offers advice on how to cope when supporting someone else.

Support for young people in Essex

The Emotional Wellbeing and Mental Health Service (EWMHS) helps young people in Essex up to the age of 18, or up to 25 with special educational needs.

Support for armed forces and veterans

See our page on where to go for support for armed forces and veterans.

Local organisations that provide support

The following local organisations provide support with a variety of mental health conditions:

Print this page