Planning advice and guidance

Includes highways and infrastructure pre-application planning advice and Essex Design Guide

Community infrastructure and planning obligations advice

We can give advice on what contributions you may have to make for infrastructure provision if you secure planning permission for your site.

See Community infrastructure advice - guidance and charges (DOC, 31.1KB) for services available and cost.

Use this Community infrastructure - pre-application enquiries form (DOC, 50.5KB) to request advice on planning contributions for a proposed development.

Complete and return to the email address below.


Contact the Community Infrastructure Team


Developer contributions

See our Developers’ Guide to Infrastructure Contributions (PDF, 2.98MB), which details the impacts development may have on our services and infrastructure. It guides developers on how Section 106 agreements and the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) may be used to secure work, finance and land to mitigate these impacts.

Section 106 agreements

If you need to enter a Section 106 agreement with us, please use this Section 106 agreement template (DOC, 68.6KB). Using this can speed up the planning process and reduce legal costs.

You can request copies of an existing Section 106 agreement from the relevant local authority. You can also use this Existing section 106 enquiry form (XLS, 56.5KB) to request:

  • a copy of an agreement with us
  • confirmation that obligations to us are now discharged

Fill in the form and send it to us using the email address above. Please note, we cannot give advice on district, borough or city council obligations.

New school or childcare facility proposals

You must send in a Land Compliance Study with your application if your proposal needs land for:

  • a new school
  • a new early years and childcare facility

Please use this Education site suitability checklist (XLS, 88KB).