Register a death
What to bring to register a death
You need to register the death at a face-to-face appointment at the register office.
You will need to bring:
- the medical certificate of cause of death
- the person’s NHS number
- the person’s birth certificate, if possible
The registrar will ask for the person's:
- date and place of death
- full name (and any other names they used or maiden name)
- home address and postcode
- date and place of birth
- last job
- details of pensions or allowances they received
- their spouse’s full name and job
Once this is done, the registrar will give you:
- the ‘green form’, which you will need to plan the burial or cremation
- a form to be sent to the Department of Work and Pensions
There’s no fee for registering the death, but you can buy copies of the death certificate for £11. You will need these to deal with the person’s finances and estate.
You can buy extra copies any time from the Essex Record Office website, but this might cost slightly more.