Essex Registration Service is open, but on a restricted basis.
We’re currently only offering telephone appointments for death and stillbirth registrations.
We are deferring all appointments for:
- registering births
- giving notice of marriage or civil partnership
Under Government restrictions, ceremonies cannot take place.
If you have a ceremony or a birth or notice appointment booked in the next 4 weeks, we will be contacting you to discuss this.
Please see our coronavirus update page for the latest information before calling.
Register a death
What you need to register a death
You need to register the death at a phone appointment.
Before the appointment
The medical certificate of cause of death (MCCD) has to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the appointment
You will need:
- the person’s NHS number
- the person’s birth certificate, if possible
- the name, email and address of your funeral director
The registrar will ask for the person's:
- date and place of death
- full name (and any other names they used or maiden name)
- home address and postcode
- date and place of birth
- last job
- details of pensions or allowances they received
- their spouse’s full name and job
Once this is done, the registrar will:
- send the ‘green form’ to your funeral director, (this is needed to plan the burial or cremation)
- post you one death certificate
There’s no fee for registering the death.
Once you have registered the death, any certificates you've paid for will be sent to you.Print this page