Your councillor

Find your councillor and learn about expenses, allowances, making a complaint and how you can become a councillor

Complain about a councillor

County councillors follow the Code of Conduct for Members, which you can find in our constitution.

The code gives a set of detailed rules that councillors must follow.

If you feel an Essex County councillor may have broken the code, you can make a complaint. Because we don't investigate all complaints, we advise you to read our investigation criteria before you make a formal complaint.

For example, complaints about slow replies to letters and emails or not answering all your questions are only likely to be investigated in the most serious cases. Unless your complaint is serious, it may be better to raise it informally by emailing the monitoring officer so that your concerns can be drawn to the attention of the councillor.

You can complain about a councillor’s conduct (WORD, 124KB) by filling in this form and emailing it to

This is only for complaints relating to councillors in their role as an Essex County councillor.

You can find out how to make complaints about our services on our complaints page.

What happens after you’ve complained

The Monitoring Officer will use our Assessment and Hearing Procedure (PDF, 202KB) to decide how the complaint should be investigated.

If necessary the Audit, Governance and Standards Committee will look into the complaint and decide what action should be taken.