School complaints

If you have a concern about your child’s school and wish to make a complaint, you need to contact the school.

Talk to the school

Try to talk to someone at the school first. Many concerns can be resolved in this way and it helps to maintain a good relationship with the school.

School complaints procedure

If the informal discussion doesn’t work, ask for a copy of the school’s complaints procedures and follow their guidance on how to express your concern.

Further action

If you’ve gone through each stage of the school's complaints procedure and are still unhappy with the outcome, contact the Department for Education (DfE) for more advice.

Special needs provision

If you're concerned that your child is not getting the right help in school for their special educational needs, you can talk to the Essex Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS).

SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS)

Contact Essex SENDIASS for free and impartial advice on everything to do with SEND. You can:

You can also get support from the Essex Family Forum.

Complaints about our services

If something's gone wrong with one of our services, let us know.

Print this page