Independent Visitor Service
What an Independent Visitor does
Independent Visitors support children and young people in care up to age 18. They meet with them every month for a few hours.
- give them someone other than a paid carer to talk to
- be a consistent and supportive person in their life
- help them learn to trust
- share a hobby, sport or interest
- help with school or college work
- have fun days out with them
An Independent Visitor can be life changing for a young person in care.
In some cases, volunteers have carried on visiting a young person for many years. Even after the young person leaves the care system.
At other times, the relationship comes to a natural end as the young person grows older. The circumstances of the volunteer or young person may change.Print this page