Information for sponsors welcoming a Ukrainian person or family

DBS and home checks

Checks required

All sponsors will require safeguarding and home checks. In order to begin completing these necessary checks, we are contacting all sponsors as quickly as possible. If you haven't heard from us yet, please tell us when your guests have arrived.

Both checks need to be passed in order for guests to stay with you and payments to be made. There is no charge for these checks.

Safeguarding checks

There are two parts to the safeguarding check. Firstly, is a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.

This will be a standard DBS check if you are providing a home for adults only. An enhanced DBS check will be required if you are providing a home for children.

To complete the DBS check you will need to provide proof of ID. You can read guidance about DBS checks and processes.

The second part of the safeguarding check is a visit from a social worker to your home. The purpose of this visit is to speak to you and ensure there are no safeguarding risks. These checks will be carried out by Essex County Council’s Children and Families and Adult Services.

Accommodation checks

All homes must meet the standards as set out in the accommodation guidance. Accommodation checks will be carried out by your local district, borough or city council. They will be in touch to arrange a convenient time to visit your home or property.

Print this page