Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

You are currently in: Marriage and Civil Partnership


Civil partnerships

1 May 2018

If you are a same sex couple and want to formalise your relationship you can register a civil partnership, which can take place in any registration office or approved premise.

You may like to celebrate this formal registration of your partnership with a ceremony. In Essex we have venues to suit all tastes and budgets.

Forming a civil partnership requires both partners to sign a registration document. The signing can take place at either a registration office or at one of the many approved venues in Essex. You may wish to undertake the legal formalities of the Civil Partnership but defer the civil partnership ceremony until a later date, although this holds no legal status and is purely celebratory.

Since 29 March 2014 same sex couples can marry in a civil ceremony.

Legal notice

Each person needs to give notice of partnership. To do this you will need to give notice and bring some identification documents with you. When the notice of partnership has been given, you will need to wait 28 days before the civil partnership can be registered. There will be a referral scheme in place, whereby all non-EEA nationals without settled status, is referred to the Home Office for further investigation.  Those within scope of this referral may have the waiting period extended up to 70 days whilst their case is considered.  As with a marriage notice, details from the notice will be made available at the Essex Register Office (Brentwood) for public inspection. The details on display do not include either partners’ address.

Civil Partnership certificate

The certificate is normally issued on the next working day after your registration.

Civil Partnership conversion

Find out more about civil partnership conversion services.


You can check the latest fees online here.